Spread the Love!
Valentines day, love it or hate it, is right around the corner. Maybe the day holds sweet memories of your doilied up shoe box in second grade, holding the "Be Mine" Power Ranger sucker card from that special someone, or it is the still raw memory of attending not one but all of your junior high Valentine's Day dances alone. Not that we have any specific good or bad feeling about the day, or think about it much, or ever. Seriously completely neutral here.
Some would argue that it is just a hyped up fake day promoted by Hallmark to sell cards but we think the opportunity to have a little fun and say "You're pretty great!" shouldn't be wasted. If you're in the camp of "this is a fabricated commercial event" we challenge you to bend it to your will and use it for good! We're big fans of "Galentine's Day", which is one big day of shout out to your girls. But why not use the actual day - the 14th - to spread some love in some unique and unconventional ways?
If the day is straight up about romance for you we'd humbly offer up that we carry a seriously badass gift to please him and her alike, our American made 12 ways to say you love you journal - something they'll keep for ever and is light years better than the stuffed Snoopy holding a heart you gave last year. Seriously one of the most romantic gifts we've seen and wished someone would gift us.
If you are thinking that it would be a fun way to tell your child what is super special about them and how much you value them, we've got a thing or two for that too with some unique American mades toys and activities.
But we'd like to suggest that we all consider using the day to show others - whether that's a neighbor or the world - we love them. So we've come up with our humble list of "Spread the Love" ideas:
1. Visit a nursing home and drop off a bouquet of flowers to the nursing station.
2. Better yet, at said nursing home, bring two bouquets and spend a few minutes with a resident the nursing staff tips you off to that doesn't see many visitors.
3. Get the kids in the action by having them cut out paper hearts and write kind messages on them and hand them out to strangers at the post office, DMV or other high traffic locale.
4. Make some yummy cookies, we've got a great American made cookie cutter for the task, and then take them to your local fire station, police department or library.
5. Whip up a heart shaped pizza ala our fabulous American made pizza pan and drop by a neighbor's house you've never met, yet lived next to for years.
6. Don't forget our furry friends! Collect up old towels and blankets and drop off at a local shelter.
7. Spend the day going out of your way to compliment at least one person you see everywhere you go. Don't just admire the tattoo on the person in front of you in the grocery line, tell them how cool it is!
8. Have the kids write some notes to friends and family telling them what exactly they love about them. Grandpa will love hearing he has the best jokes around, and everyone likes to get something in the mail that isn't a bill.
9. Donate to an amazing cause in someone's name and let them know. Being thought of and being the inspiration for helping someone else is enough to make anyone swoon.
10. Spend the day saying 'I love you' to all the people you do. Sky writing is suggested but even a text will do.
Get out there and make this day about more than having a date. We could all use a little, actually a lot, of love so let's make this happen people! Comment below to share your best idea on how to spread the love. #spreadthelove
- Tina Beattie